Medical technologist – Histology
COVANCE is a leading global drug development services company and we provide support to the Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology industries.
We are recruiting for our laboratory in Geneva and are currently seeking to hire a Medical technologist in Histology to help support the team.
This is a permanent contract, in a full time position, working Tuesday to Saturday in Meyrin/Geneva.
About the Job
Within this position, your duties will include:
- Histology techniques: tissue processing, block sectioning, staining, slide scanning, administrative tasks (60% in Histology), and now new IHC / FISH platforms new markers validations.
- Utilize knowledge and experience with histology samples to maintain proper storage conditions and facilitate accessioning of blocks and slides (stained and unstained).
- Routine microtomy and re-embedding of human tissue specimens from patients enrolled in clinical trials.
- Ensure that Special Handling specimens are picked up from the appropriate area, sorted, accessioned, pre-scanned and registered into the appropriate temperature bins in a timely fashion.
- Generation and application of specialized labels to include aliquot and or mini labels with client specific elements.
- Prepare workstation, instrumentation and maintenance on instruments and or equipment daily, weekly, monthly. Ability to adequately maintain accurate records and both adhere to Standard Operating Procedures:
- Calibrate instruments, verification of temperature, logging of data as required.
- Ensure that maintenance is performed and documented according to SOP.
- Perform basic instrument and or equipment troubleshooting.
- Notify management when an instrument and or equipment does not meet specifications.
- Adheres to all company policies and procedures and performs all departmental and interdepartmental SOP’s as written.
- Adheres to safety and occupational health policies and standards.
- Generates an appropriate audit trail of all activities and maintains own training file and required documentation.
To be successful in this position, you will need to hold a
- Medical Technologist (CFC holder)
- Pharmaceutical Biology Technologist (CFC holder)
- Medical Technologist (Swiss State School of Medical Technologist Degree holder)
- Medical Technologist (BTS, DUT, IUT Degree holder)
- Foreign Medical Technologist Degree holder with equivalency statement from Swiss Red Cross
Additionally, you will need to demonstrate:
- 1 year previous experience in histology laboratory setting unless HS educated with ASCP certification (must have some histology experience).
- Able to work in a team as well as independently
- Dynamic attitude and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to take up challenges
- Strong detail orientation
- Strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills
- Ability to use several software packages i.e., Word, Excel, Access
- Ability to adequately maintain accurate records and both adhere to and author Standard Operating Procedures.
- Able to troubleshoot problems with automated histological equipment.
- Requires theoretical and practical knowledge of histology and processing of human tissue specimens, including handling and storage of histology samples.
- Candidate may have at least basic knowledge of molecular histology and techniques, including immunohistochemistry and FISH.
- Candidate must be familiar with labeling and accessioning procedures and tracking of paraffin tissue blocks and slides.
Get ready to redefine what’s possible and discover your extraordinary potential at Covance. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to personally advance healthcare and make a difference in peoples’ lives with your bold ideas and unique point of view. With the support of exceptional people from across the globe and an energized purpose, you’ll be empowered to own your career journey with mentoring, training and personalized development planning.
Join us as we speed the delivery of groundbreaking therapies and anticipate tomorrow’s drug development challenges, creating new possibilities for our clients—and your career.